- prenatal or antenatal anxiety if you experience anxiety during pregnancy
- postnatal anxiety if you experience it after giving birth
- some women may have severe anxiety around childbirth also known as tokophobia
- you may experience panic attacks
- if your anxiety leads you to experience unwelcome thoughts, images, urges or doubts, or there are repetitive activities that you feel you have to do you may have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Many women experience anxiety during the perinatal period. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) suggests that 13% of women experience anxiety during pregnancy, this is higher than figures for depression. Perinatal anxiety is less well known about, but far more prevalent that we had first thought.